This may sound strange to many of you, but I really don't use much soap anymore. Your thinking gross, right? Relax, I still use soap to wash my hands, so don't worry! That is a good idea as it helps prevent the spread of germs around the house and with friends. We all want to keep our friends, right? My inspiration
When I was growing up, I worked at a corn stand in the summers. It was run by a Dutch family and the owner's parents who lived on the property, insisted I called them Oma and Opa, which is Grandma and Grandpa. I thought this was sweet, so I complied and went along with it. They were both in their late 70s and I noticed one day we were having tea at break time, that Oma and her sister, who was visiting from Amsterdam, had super soft looking skin. I asked them what their secret was to soft skin in their old age and they said don't wash your face with soap, use oil, and drink lots of water. At the time, I'm not sure I really thought much of this advice as I still kept using facial products and anything I could find to help keep my acne under control including harsh drugs like Accutane. Eek, that was a bad idea! But now, I really appreciate and understand this advice. They were bang on! In recent years, I have developed many soap free alternatives for my skincare line. So how do I stay clean, soft, and soap -free?
Some new additions you will see this fall for my natural soapfree skincare include:
- Wash my hair with the no poo method. Read about it on my previous blog post.
- Use body scrubs to clean my skin. Scrubs made with salt, sugar, grains, and moisturizing herbal infused oils are the best for cleaning by exfolliating. They work by brushing the dirt and dead skin off, letting the oils soak in and moisturize.
- Wash my face with water, cleansing grains daily or as needed, cleansing oil in the evenings or as needed, and applying an Apple Cider Vinegar toner a few times a week. I've never had softer, smoother, and blemish-free skin in my lifetime!
- Cleansing oil
- Herbal infused facial tonic
- Cleansing grains - blends for normal, oily/acne prone, and dry/mature skin
- Moisturizing facial oil serum